[GTALUG] Federal agency warns critical Linux vulnerability being actively exploited

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 02:06:19 EDT 2024

> - the bug isn't important unless you run random stranger's code on your
>   computer.  If you do, the bug would let them escalate their priviledge.

So - beware of this statement. Everytime you access the internet, you run a
random stranger's code on your computer. Yes javascript is generally
sandboxed, _but_ a lot of active exploitation is chaining a number of small
bugs together to achieve the needed effect. There are some great
examples on the Google security blog.

Now - having been a distro representative in the past on distros@ - the
distros are pretty good at patching these issues, especially when there are
serious security issues that led to an embargo. So as long as you regularly
do a "dnf update" or whatever the apt equivalent or your distro's
equivalent is - you should be fine. Don't forget to reboot to allow the new
kernel to actually be running.

> - I imagine the only vulnerable systems at the time of the Ars Technica
>   article were those that were not being regularly updated.  It came out
>   over three months after fixes were released.
>
> - you can look up what your distro says about CVE-2024-1086

I would highly discourage this piecemeal update of CVEs. For most users,
you do not care what CVE was fixed, but that a CVE was fixed. Keep updating
your distro on a regular basis (I tend to do it daily, since Fedora has a
lot of churn) and as per theory you should be fine. I cannot think of a
workload on a laptop/personal computer which cannot handle a reboot.

Dhaval