[GTALUG] Portable Monitors

CAREY SCHUG sqrfolkdnc at comcast.net
Sat Jul 27 08:57:13 EDT 2024

Just to make sure, trying to think outside the box, what do you need:

--needs to operate from a battery, or is AC enough?
--could an adapter to the TV in a hotel room suffice?
--an HDMI frame grabber connecting to USB on a tablet computer?

The latter is from a not recently travelling person, not sure if hotel TVs might have an accessible port for connecting a computer to.  Most home TVs have HDMI input and laptops HDMI output, so all you'd need would be a (possibly long) cable.  otherwise various conversion adapters are available.

also, as a non-user, can VR headsets connect to a computer to give you a virtual screen as tall as the ceiling, and 360 degrees around the room?

Unless your needs are special and/or light weight, you can visit a thrift store and get last years flatscreens for peanuts.  Go to the wealthiest community around, in the poorer areas, the 1024x768 displays start at $20, in the wealthy areas, the pivot 1920x1280 displays go for $10-$15.  And if you drop it, or airline loses it, just go get another.

I used an HDMI frame grabber to take the display from one notebook computer and share it in a zoom session on a desktop computer, to show real time what happens with an unusual operating system on the notebook, or installation of an OS on that notebook.

<pre>--Carey</pre>