[GTALUG] why reliable linux hasn't gained more market share?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Jul 24 21:35:02 EDT 2024

On 2024-07-24 20:41, Ron / BCLUG via talk wrote:
> Steve Petrie via talk wrote on 2024-07-23 07:47:
>
>> Actually I'm REALLY GLAD that linux owns such a tiny share of the
>> desktop PC market. This means that evil virus hackers have almost
>> ZERO incentive to invest their time crafting attacks on linux desktops.
>
> I'd say you've got it backwards - the high value targets are the
> servers more so than the desktops.

We used to worry a lot about someone getting into a salesperson's
laptop, and using that to get to our backbone.  We created a
windows-only network for them, with mandatory access control and
physical separation.

  At least one closely-regulated customer wouldn't let anything /intel/,
much less PC, onto their back end networks Only a colleague and I who
had SPARC laptops had direct access to the data center from the outside.
Everyone else had to log in to a gateway box and work from the
command-line.  (For some reason they didn't have Macs)

The underlying problem is called "transitive trust", where the attacker
works through layer after layer because they each trust him/a bit too
much/. And the first step is always a salesperson's laptop (:-))

--dave

davecb at spamcop.net            |              -- Mark Twain