[GTALUG] WiFi modes and their driver support

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 22 18:24:00 EDT 2024

As I remember it, a WiFi node can be in one of at least three modes:

- STA (station): an ordinary client

- AP (Access Point): a host

- Ad Hoc: for point-to-point between peers

There may well be newer modes for doing mesh networks

For ordinary PCs, there don't seem to be good WiFi cards that have Linux
drivers for AP mode.

I use a Linux PC for a router but I attach an AP box (like a wireless
router) to provide WiFi in my house.  (Those AP boxes are running Linux
but the have their own SoC with a WiFi interface, with drivers for AP
mode.)

It would be nice if I could just use an appropriate m.2 WiFi card instead.
My understanding is that there are no good cards with good AP drivers.
For example, the Intel AX210 is considered a good card with good drivers,
but not for AP.

Does anyone have a better solution?