[GTALUG] a quick question about power supplies?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Jul 18 23:21:14 EDT 2024

Trying for context again.

On Thu, 18 Jul 2024, William Park via talk wrote:
> Power supply fan is usually temperature controlled, though the threshold
> could be adjustable.  If it's not turning, then it could be because the power
> supply is still not "hot" enough.

yes, I have owned units like this, where the fan would kick in to cool the
machine down, but in this case the fan was turning, but stopped
entirely..will answer the rest below.

>>  power button to actually turn off the machine anymore.
>
> It could be the button is not connected.
The button was functional previously, with the case not having been opened
for  a few months now.

> How do you know it's getting hot?
Great question!
I have never owned a computer with
1. a case that is so hot to the touch that I can smell  slight  smoke
sometimes, and the smell I associate with heat.
2. where  my computer clock jumps in time  rapidly..fortunately that only
happened once.
3.  My speech source is an internal card.  as the case, smell, heat
increases, the speech  starts to increase on its own.
The case heat alone is Unusual for my experience.  even the metal around
where the fan should be turning is quite warm to the touch.

> Another indication that the button is not connected.

Why?  the button was functioning long after the cables connecting the cd
rom were left loose inside the case.

>>  properly for the power supply replacement.
> Except for graphic cards, I don't think you have to worry about power usage
> of cards.
Perhaps, but the slight smell of burning suggests heat inside the case,
and I have never owned a machine that ran this hot to the touch.