[GTALUG] All browsers suck: was Google is ruled a monopoly so Firefox is at serious risk

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Tue Aug 13 20:27:22 EDT 2024

Nick Accad via talk wrote on 2024-08-13 15:04:

> In my experience, FF [...] is way less resource intensive than the
> Chromimum based browsers, and as for disk usage, right now, I have
> 1.8G on disk split between 4 profiles, not really that much of a
> piggy.
I have to agree, no problems with Firefox and resource consumption.

Three windows open, innumerable tabs in each (not all loaded, thanks to
"lazy loading"), many videos played and often some webdev stuff.

No restart req'd after many weeks. This is pretty normal.

Occasionally, I do have to kill a Firefox process (it'll reload the tab)
or go to about:memory to run garbage collection, but it's been running
these 3 windows *since at least May*, so not too concerned.

Also, just saw this stat again the other day: the W3C spec(s) contain
~114,000,000 words.

Implementing all that is an unimaginable task.

And, in anything that size, there'll be edge cases where the spec does
not clearly define all possible outcomes, allowing "Browsers that wing
it" to be operating within the spec.

My 2ยข