[GTALUG] Google is ruled a monopoly so Firefox is at serious risk

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Aug 13 11:59:40 EDT 2024

Well..its not quite this simple.
Starting with a question?  can attachments be sent to the list?
My  media hat on, its because I have a copy of this ruling, but you can find
it as well. i suggest using duckduckgo instead of  Google though.
The correct situation is that Google is violating antitrust laws by paying
companies , and apparently  that includes Mozilla   for them to force users
to  have default access to Google's search engine only.
What I find really concerning about what you share though may be a
misconception on my part.
I have always believed that Mozilla was a nonprofit organization.
Meaning that Google would be donating funding to Mozilla..then taking that
same amount off their taxes to create an antitrust situation..which
speaking personally  feels both illegal and immoral on several levels for
me.
Anyway, the ruling, which will be challenged in court for many many years,
will require google to stop buying competitors out of the search engine
market, allowing end users to choose what search tool they want instead.
As I said,i have a copy of the decision,  there is allot of press on the
case.
Kare