[GTALUG] Old and New Habits...

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Sat Aug 10 19:17:27 EDT 2024

Peter King via talk wrote on 2024-08-10 16:02:

> The discussion was inconclusive, to say the least, and I thought (and
>  think!) that we should respect case and punctuation.

Generally, I agree.

Just today I subscribed to a podcast by someone who's podcast work I
quite like, only to see that absolutely no capitalization is used on
episode titles, even for proper nouns like "Boston".

FFS, I just might unsubscribe.

I hate this trend where it's "cool" to eschew capitalization, or even
worse, to skip it at sentence beginnings, but use it in, say, "CPU".

WTF?  It's worse than the old-timers writing all-caps back in the early
'90s ("Stop shouting!")

> But I certainly hadn't considered the arguments against it...

When it comes to email, it'd be a huge flaw to allow me to sign up as
PeterKing at gmail.com when you've already got peterking at gmail.com

Email addresses are, as I understand it, folded to lower-case for
handling and that makes sense.

> Thoughts?  Experiences with gmail?  Reflections on generational
> differences in the approach to computing?

I've already ranted about lower-case everything, I'd best refrain from
starting on about emoji, "LOL" as punctuation, etc. -- those aren't even
generational. If anything, they're more popular amongst the oldsters.

rb