[GTALUG] I guess I should buy a new video card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Aug 10 13:07:54 EDT 2024

On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 12:35:13AM -0400, Steve Litt via talk wrote:
> AMD cards are much better for Linux than nVidia. There's a reason Linus
> gave the finger to nVidia. When first assembling the computer I'm
> typing this on, I had an nVidia card and had all sorts of intermittent
> weirdness including whole system hangs. I replaced it with a Radeon and
> the machine's been rock solid ever since.

Well I got one, put it in and it works without doing anything other than
removing the nvidia driver.

That's certainly a lot better than it used to be back when you had to use
AMD's hinary drivers, which crashed X if you didn't explicitly set it to
24 bit color (the default was 256 color which the AMD drivers wouldn't
do), and of course they were removing support from the drivers for cards
that were a couple of years old that they were still selling to business
customers.

Never mind the windows 98 drivers that would loose the mouse pointer
anytime you went to click a link in internet explorer.  They promised
to fix that in the next driver version, except they never released one.

And the XP drivers that kept crashing the system.

I guess they have gotten a bit better since.  But it has been a lot of
really bad work to get over.  They have made good hardware, but wow
their driver team has been terrible for a very long time.  Maybe they
finally got that part right too.

--
Len Sorensen