[GTALUG] I guess I should buy a new video card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 9 23:23:22 EDT 2024

On Fri, Aug 09, 2024 at 05:01:11PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> What drivers are you using?  My (newer) GTX 650 is not supported by
> current proprietary drivers.

nvidia-legacy-340xx

> If you've been using a 2007 card, you probably haven't been asking
> much of it.  Wouldn't the cheapest card you could find be good enough?

Well maybe I will try asking some more of it now that it sits next to
my desk instead of in the basement.

Besides I tend to buy midrange and then run it forever. :)

The rest of the machine is slightly newer, more like 12 years old at
this point I think.  Motherboard I think is 2012 (Asus Sabertooth X79,
which was released late 2011), 32GB ram, i7-3960X CPU, 36TB of spinning
disks (9 x 4TB WD Red Pro in RAID6) and a pair of 500GB Samsung 860 SSDs
in RAID1.  It was overkill when I built it, and it is still running well
so at this point the price per year of use is actually quite reasonable.
I think a midrange modern GPU is OK for it.

--
Len Sorensen