[GTALUG] I guess I should buy a new video card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 9 23:10:03 EDT 2024

On Fri, Aug 09, 2024 at 04:54:54PM -0400, Don Tai wrote:
> Before you give up, try taking the video card out of your machine, clean
> and vacuum it, and inspect the fan. Clean out any gunk on the spindle, then
> drip a very small amount of machine oil. If all these things don't quiet
> down your fan, then go shopping.

The bearing sounds like it is full of debris when I turn it.  And it
does not seem to have much dust in or on it.

I think I have gone way beyond the expected life of that poor bearing.

Oh on closer inspection, it appears a few fan blades have lost some
corners.  I guess the plastic got brittle over time and gave up.
No wonder it is wobbly.

--
Len Sorensen