[GTALUG] I guess I should buy a new video card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 9 15:14:34 EDT 2024

I finally decided to try and figure out which fan to replace in my linux
server machine since it was being rather noisy lately.  I thought it
was one of the cpu fans or maybe a case fan, but after checking both
cpu fans, all 4 case fans, the chipset fan and the power supply fan,
I finally realized it was the video card fan.  I guess that isn't one
you just get a replacement for.

The video card is an EVGA Nvidia 8600GT.  It has date codes of 0728
on parts.  I guess after 17 years of service I can't complain.

I am thinking maybe I will try an AMD 7600 XT and see how that amdgpu
driver in the kernel is doing these days.  I haven't given AMD a chance
in a very long time after all.

--
Len Sorensen