[GTALUG] simple plug & play ethernet splitters?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 09:21:47 EDT 2024

On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 9:57 PM Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2024, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
>
> > I don't know if you can get a router for less than $30.  And no point
> > getting something more complicated than required.  An unmanaged switch
> > just does one thing when powered on and nothing else.
>
> Yes, my soul's goal here is simplicity.
> Its going to be challenging enough finding a surge protector with a long
> enough cord to reach all the way across the room to power not only this
> unit, but any computers  using those extra ports.
> Kare

This is not really a large problem.

Buy whatever surge protector with whatever cord length you can find.
Go to the commercial section of your local Home Depot or similar.
Ask for a 12/3 extension cord long enough to reach an independant plug
and your computing area. If that distance is more than 30 feet buy that
cord as a 10/3 - - - you will NOT have a problem out to 100 ft from that
wall plug. (I landed up buying a 10/3 cord (actually bought cable and ends
and made it up myself) after I damaged the rotor on a large angle grinder
I was working hard - - - I think rated draw was 17A.)

HTH