[GTALUG] simple plug & play ethernet splitters?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Aug 8 11:02:57 EDT 2024

On 2024-08-08 10:52, Scott Allen via talk wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2024 at 10:45, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> My reasoning for lesser numbers is I also have less points of possible
>> failure.
> And conversely, more cost if that larger point of failure fails.

It's always a trade off.

I have a TV a settopbox and a soundsystem that all have rj45 ports.
It was easier to just get a POE powered 8 port netgear switch and use a
POE injector at my bigger switch.
Otherwise I would have been running at least 2 more cables and then have
the ceilings and walls to patch after.

Switches are pretty reliable devices.
Baring lighting strikes the only switches that I have seen go
spontaneously bad are Cisco and I have some clients running 10 year old
switch stacks.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
Netvel Inc.                   ||   home:  (905)513-7688