[GTALUG] simple plug & play ethernet splitters?

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed Aug 7 12:25:44 EDT 2024

On 8/7/24 00:31, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> Hi wise folks,
>  I likely found my goal at amazon, say a tp-links unit, but if it is
> common enough where I could just dance into say a Canada computers,
> that would be preferred.
> Basically I seek a simple classic plug and play  Ethernet splitter,
> say with 4 or 5 ports.  something that does not require software, even
> fanless will work.
> I am hoping once I also find a quality  power bar, to connect
> equipment that is on the other side of my home studio from my desk.
> Everything I personally use has standard Ethernet ports, with my
> hoping to set things up once, no removing cables and the like.
> Am I picturing this correctly, and is there a simple place I can get
> one inexpensively?
> Thanks,
> Karen

There is no such thing as an "Ethernet splitter".  There have been some
adapters that run 2 Ethernet connections over a single cable, by using
only 2 pairs for each connection.  However, that limits you to 100 Mb,
when Gb is commonplace these days.  What you want is a cheap Ethernet
switch.  A 5 port model should run somewhere around $30.