[GTALUG] Anyone else having issues with 6.9.12-1 kernel?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 7 11:14:23 EDT 2024

On Tue, Aug 06, 2024 at 01:27:19PM -0400, Michael Galea wrote:
> Thanks!  I'm mow on 6.10.3 unsigned from sid now, with new nvidia sources.
> Everything running fine.  But I'm confused on two issues.
> 1) It seems that debian has some sort of preference for signed over unsigned
> kernels.
> When I uninstalled a 6.9.12 unsigned kernel, it launched into installing a
> 6.9.12 signed
> kernel which I had around.
> 2) My linux-image-amd64 package is status rc at 6.9.12-1. But upgrading it
> wants to
> uninstall linux-image-6.10.3-amd64-unsigned and install
> linux-image-6.10.3-amd64!

Yes it explicitly depends on the normal (signed) package.  And the two
kernel packages are listed as conflicting, so you either have the signed
or the unsigned but not both.

> Is there some way to make debian prefer the unsigned kernel?

Well I just went and checked, and sure enough, all my installed kernels
are signed.  I didn't know that, given I have never seen any messages
about signing.  Maybe because my system is BIOS not UEFI?  All my machines
are rather old by now.

I don't see any obvious way to install unsigned kernels automatically.
The meta package for the kernel depends on the signed one.

--
Len Sorensen