[GTALUG] Anyone else having issues with 6.9.12-1 kernel?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 6 10:34:02 EDT 2024

On Mon, Aug 05, 2024 at 07:38:12PM -0400, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> This kernel has been pretty awful for me. On my desktop it barfs while
> trying to build nvidia support via dkms, with some sort of signing error.
>
> On my laptop, after install I get a 251Mb initrd after install, compared to
> the 44Mb initrd of the 6.7.12 kernel it replaced.
>
> Is anyone else that is running debian testing seeing these issues?

Some initrd growth has definitely happened recently due to some kernel
changes.  I don't recall exactly what was added, maybe a bunch of firmware
files or something.

Looks like it is some enormous nvidia firmware files:
https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=804049#p804049

As for signing, I have never run the signed kernel as I have never turned
on secureboot on any system, so signing issues have never been a problem.

--
Len Sorensen