[GTALUG] Portable Monitors

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 07:56:39 EDT 2024

Hi Nick.

I ran into a similar-ish problem about a year ago.  Sat down at a desk
at TPL and plugged my Mac into the Dell docking bay attached to a Dell
monitor ... and nothing happened.  I was informed by local staff that
this was expected - because Dell uses a proprietary style of docking
bay (standard USB-C port, non-standard behaviour).  Essentially, it
doesn't work unless you have a Dell laptop.

Dell sometimes makes good products.  But I've been bitten by their
inclination to "proprietary and our way is best" often enough that I
avoid their products on principle and assume that problems like this
are a result of choices they made.  This may not be true, but you
should look into how that "engineering laptop" of yours is designed
and what it supports instead of assuming that the portable monitor was
at fault.  I bet it would work with a Dell portable monitor ...

Kind of hard for me to whinge about proprietary lock-in in the same
sentence in which I admit I was using a Mac - but Apple has always
been very clear that they have a walled garden (and they fully follow
the USB-C spec).  Dell doesn't make their proprietary behaviour clear.