[GTALUG] mbox vs Maildir [was Re: Linux friendly email providers?]

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Fri Nov 24 20:50:24 EST 2023

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 01:20:20 -0500 (EST)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> You mentioned that you were running out of space on your system.  If a lot
> of that space is mail messages, I would bet that Maildir is costing you a
> lot of it.  Each message is taking a multiple of the allocation unit size
> (1KB? 4KB?) and a large part of that is likely unused (the tail of the
> last unit).

Hugh,

   My primary data device is 1TB.  My primary backup device is 50GB
Blu-ray.  I compress my backup now.  My email archives go back twenty
five years, and I have no plans to archive any of it.

   I figured that separate email files would be using up a lot of
sectors, but my bandwidth is limited by my Blu-ray discs.  My actual
backup is a gzipped tar file.  Sectors should not be a problem, should
they?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca