[GTALUG] Browsers (and Thorium to be specific)

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Nov 24 04:21:02 EST 2023

Don Tai via talk wrote on 2023-11-23 15:46:

> I by default don't run JS, and then with the Noscript plugin, grant js
> access. Many sites will block you without JS running. Though I depend on
> FF, which usually works, I don't mind if web sites crack and don't
> render well.

I ran with default no JS for years and years, then I just stopped.

Wasn't worth the breakage, and for a good decade or so now many of the
best & brightest developers have been hired by big tech to implement
safer, more sand-boxed JS environments.

I think I have U-Block set to disable 3rd party scripts, all the rest
allowed by default, blocked if problematic.

A much more pleasant web experience.

I like to point out that if it weren't for the capabilities that modern
JS has, we'd be trying to have monthly meetings with Win32 apps in WINE,
faffing about constantly with tech issues, probably having to resort to
mobile devices, ...

Linux would be largely unusable for a lot of modern web usage.

I've become kinda fond of poor ol' JavaScript, it doesn't deserve the
reputation it has.

rb