[GTALUG] Toronto Public Library website

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Wed Nov 8 18:20:08 EST 2023

On 2023-11-08 10:12, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> It does depend on how much you have to recover.
> I have clients whose data sets take weeks to months to copy over multi
> gigabit links.

Not too long ago I had to move a database to a new server. A couple of TBs
needed to be moved. Both machines were part of the same network but it still
took the better part of a week to copy the data to the new box and get it up
and running with the copied data.

> They did have a verify step in the process where they read the data after it
> was written but they only verified that the checksums matched the data.
> Fortunately this was found by a customer and none of the financial
> institutions involved had a bad day.

Lucky that someone noticed in time to correct the issue. I wonder how a
customer was the one to notice it rather than the people doing the data
recovery.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | "Nerds make the shiny things that
                                     | distract the mouth-breathers, and
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          | that's why we're powerful"
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick