[GTALUG] (very off topic) torque spec of impact wrench

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Nov 3 03:30:52 EDT 2023

William Park via talk wrote on 2023-11-03 00:07:

> Question is, is there difference between static torque vs impact torque?

I think the impacting has an effect, else the tools wouldn't have it (it
requires clutches and other extras that must be there for a reason).

>   In other words, will 250ft-lb impact wrench loosen 300ft-lb bolt?

I'm thinking a resounding yes.

I've got one of these:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-8-5a-nut-busting-corded-single-speed-impact-wrench-with-led-work-light-1-2-in-0542099p.0542099.html?rq=impact+wrench+maximum#srp

My only gripe is that it is single-speed, not variable speed.

But it's handled anything I've thrown at it.

Lists for $150, often on sale for $99.

Might want an impact rated socket to match the lug nut size.

Also, like Evan said, penetrating oil (can use ATF fluid instead).

Also, application of heat to lug nuts can expand them enough to help -
got a torch?

Good luck.

Ron