[GTALUG] (very off topic) torque spec of impact wrench

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 3 03:07:29 EDT 2023

Hi (another very off topic),

Wheel bolts on my VW are seized pretty hard.  Standing on 24in breaker
bar doesn't help, and that's 300ft-lb torque.  So, I'm thinking about
getting an impact wrench.  Those with greater than 300ft-lb are very
expensive.  I found one with 250ft-lb spec at my price range.

Question is, is there difference between static torque vs impact torque?
  In other words, will 250ft-lb impact wrench loosen 300ft-lb bolt?

Browsing YouTube, I learned that torque specs are always misleading and
inflated.  This means, I have to find 600ft-lb or greater, and that's
serious money.