[GTALUG] zero [was Re: Favorite desktop manager?]

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jul 28 05:45:32 EDT 2023

I find an interesting-tho-trivial bit of culture shock in going between
North America and elsewhere (generally, in my experience): floor
designations in buildings.

In North America the "first floor" of a building is usually considered to
be where the lobby and ground exit is located.
Elsewhere, it's usually referred to as the "main floor", and the floor
above that is the first floor. Indeed, in elevators of such buildings the
"main floor" is often indicated with a zero button (and the basement is
"-1" rather than "B").
Maybe there's an anthropology lesson somewhere on how and why these ideas
diverged.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56