[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:54:21 EDT 2023

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 at 13:08, Scott Allen <mlxxxp at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the equipment is in different rooms or on different circuits, you will
> need more than one, just like you would use multiple power bars.

To clarify:

The need for more than one UPS is normally due to physical, location
constraints. Unless all the equipment you'd like to protect would draw
more power than is provided by a single 15 amp circuit, you can put it
all on one UPS, as long as the power cords can all reach it.

Note that you should only be considering equipment you are concerned
about protecting or continuing to run during fairly short power
outages. You wouldn't put appliances, or other things that aren't very
susceptible to surges or noise, on a UPS.

I would make a list of the devices you'd like to protect. For example,
your PC and monitor, the Kurzweil reader, a TV?, maybe your internet
modem/router?. From that, decide if you need more than one UPS based
on their locations and power reach. Determine the current or
wattage/VA that each requires. From that, along with considering how
long you want the equipment to be able to continue running if there's
a power failure, the proper size of the UPS(s) can be figured out.

In many cases, the time that the equipment needs to run during a power
failure doesn't have to be very long. Just enough time (with some
margin) to be able to properly and safely shut the equipment down,
then you wait out the power outage before turning everything back on.

If you actually want to be able to continue using the equipment for
some time during a power failure, then a more expensive UPS with a
larger battery may be required for it.

--
Scott