[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:54:00 EDT 2023

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 12:09 PM Scott Allen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 at 12:49, Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net> wrote:
> > That means  one for each room?  or one for each outlet where a power strip
> > will be run?
>
> Think of a UPS as a power bar. If you can power all of the equipment
> you'd like to protect on one power bar or outlet, you need one UPS. If
> the equipment is in different rooms or on different circuits, you will
> need more than one, just like you would use multiple power bars.

If you're buying ones that are rated at some 600W or so (1500 VA - - - -
which should be watts but somehow isn't) you might be surprised at what all
you can run. The cost in the mid $200 range - - - if I were buying 4 or 5
I think I might be asking for a bit off of each too.
One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to count on them too hard.
If you drain the battery dead a couple times you capacity is going to hit the
toilet! - - - These are short term tools - - - - NOT serious UPS where you have
hours of backup.

HTH