[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jul 18 11:27:41 EDT 2023

If you don't know the source of the problem, it is kind of hard to be
sure where you need to fix it.

I imagine that a whole house conditioner would be meant to address
problems with power coming into the house.  If the problem is inside
the house, it probably isn't the best solution.

As far as I remember you don't know where the problem originates and
you don't actually know the nature of the problem.

What do you actually know and what do you suspect?

As far as I remember:

- You fixed one problem by replacing a serial cable connecting your
  computer and your reader (DB9 to DB25).  It is very unlikely that
  that this cable problem was caused by a power problem

- you suspect that something in the power supply may have damaged
  something else in your computer.  Do you know of any symptoms?

- one of your devices (I forget which) spontaneously shut off.
  I don't remember whether this was a single event

Are there any other symptoms of power problems?

(I too suffer a problem that might be power-related.  My home office
seems to burn out LED lightbulbs more quickly than it should.  I don't
know where to start on that one.  It might even be heat related rather
than power-related.)