[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 19:30:25 EDT 2023

On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 at 18:58, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I was surprised to find out the code for kitchen outlets has changed at
> some point from having 2x15A circuits to each counter outlet pair,
> to having 1x20A to each outlet pair.

At the risk of continuing to go off topic; actually it hasn't
"changed". Allowing a 20A circuit is an addition.  You can still do a
split dual 15A outlet with a double pole breaker if you wish.

Advantages of a 20A circuit are:

- A single run of the required 12 gauge cable is cheaper and easier
than running two 14 gauge cables.

- You only need a single pole 20A breaker instead of a 2 pole 15A
breaker. This is cheaper and takes up less space in the panel.

- You can install a regular 20A breaker and use a receptacle with
ground and arc fault (GFCI/AFCI) protection. They don't make 15A split
receptacles with this protection so you have to use a 2 pole GFCI/AFCI
breaker. A 2 pole GFCI/AFCI breaker with a standard receptacle is much
more expensive than a non-protecting breaker with a GFCI/AFCI
receptacle.

--
Scott