[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jul 13 00:47:41 EDT 2023

| From: Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| When the issue started, it turned out that the machine was working, but the
| port had stopped.

Correctly diagnosing a problem is often the first 90% of fixing it.
It often isn't easy.  (Often it is easy, but we don't remember those
events.)

| However the real issue,  how my landlord manages hydro in my apartment, means
| that the issue as it did last night can start again.

How does your landlord manage hydro?

It is unlikely that a hydro problem will damage a serial cable.  I
think that a surge powerful enough to melt copper would first fry the
electronics.

Serial cables can be damaged by rabbits, by wheely chairs, by desk
drawers, by excessive flexing and other physical trauma.  The
soldering of the connectors can fail due to mechanical stress
(especially home-made cables).  Pins can get bent and even break.
Over the years, contact oxidization can happen.

<http://melslilzoo.blogspot.com/2016/09/rabbit-proofing-for-your-indoor-rabbit.html>
This contains a picture of a rabbit laying waste to cables on a desk.
My experience is that they find cables on the floor, behind a desk.
Or ones that come too close to their cage.

| Please do not feel you are not providing solutions, because you have in the
| past just as here.

I'm glad to be corrected.