[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:35:22 EDT 2023

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 at 12:37, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> How expensive are UPS units, and how do they work?

I was typing this when Don Tai replied but I'll post it just in case
anything additional I've said is helpful:

UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply, sometimes also called a
"battery backup" unit. It's a piece of equipment that contains a
rechargeable battery, connects to your building's AC power (usually by
just plugging it into a standard AC outlet) and has AC receptacles on
it that you plug your equipment into instead of plugging them directly
into the wall. You could think of it as a big power bar with a battery
in it.

The battery is kept continually charged by a built-in battery charger
while it's plugged in. If the power fails, an DC to AC converter
(called an inverter) switches to the outlets and continues to provide
AC power to your equipment. When mains power is restored, the battery
is switched out and the AC is switched in and the battery is again
charged. Thus, it provides "uninterruptible" AC power to your
equipment. Like power bars, most UPSs also provide surge protection
and sometimes also other line conditioning.

The cost and size of the UPS you require will depend on how much power
the equipment you want to keep running draws and how long you have to
keep it running. For your requirements, the size could vary from about
12 inches square to the size of a large suitcase. Cost could be from
maybe $75 to many hundreds.

--
Scott