[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:00:57 EDT 2023

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 at 12:33, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> because my  reading edge connects via serial port on the computer, to a
> parallel port on the back of the reading edge.

No, it doesn't. You can't directly connect a serial port to a parallel
port. What you probably have is a 9 pin serial cable (IBM PC pinout)
to a 25 pin serial port (EIA/RS 232 standard pinout). (Just in case
you have to describe it in the future.)

> was amazed that I found  a new cable in fact, for like $14 no less.

They were quite common, because of the two connector/pinout standards,
so they're probably still readily available. I have a number of them
lying around.

--
Scott