[GTALUG] computer hardware testing tools.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jul 12 11:17:04 EDT 2023

This is a hard question.

Most digital systems components work or don't work.
It gets really hard when they kind of work.

Let me be a little more explicit about that, with an example.  A computer
can mostly work but have a failing serial port.  Then the component to
look at is the serial port, not the whole computer.  The serial port will
usually work or not work.

Then again, when one says that a serial port isn't completely working, one
has to realize that it is made up of components.  For example:
- the software using the port
- the OS
- the serial cable
- the device on the other end
Each of these may be the failure.  It gets more difficult if more than one
is the problem.

For complete testing I/O (like a serial port), you usually need some kind
of hardware test jig to observe what's leaving your system and to generate
inputs.

Usually a serial port has gross misbehaviour.  Hooking it up to anything
just doesn't work.  Or either the input or the output just doesn't work.
Often the problem turns out to be something simple like cables.  OK, I
admit, serial cables aren't actually simple: too many configurations.

Sometimes the problem is just dirty contacts.  Plugging and unplugging a
few times might fix this.

Long ago, I had to replace 1488 or 1489 levl-shifting / buffering chips
for serial ports.  They could be burnt out by static, I think.  Those
aren't used any longer so I don't know what you do these days.

In the past, when I've tried to help you, I've failed.  I think that the
problem is that we have different models of how things work.  Clearly your
model is correct for you. It means that my attempts of help haven't
been useful to you and have just wasted time.