[GTALUG] Red Hat Paywall...

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 08:57:13 EDT 2023

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 at 23:01, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> Thank you and others for telling us about your experience.
>
> |   If I need something newer, I can "pin" a
> | package, getting it either from testing or backports.  This is
> | admittedly a PITA to set up, and I hardly ever use it because of that
> | ... but I _have_ used it, and it proved reasonably reliable in
> | practice.  Although getting your head around pinning weights is ...
> | nasty.
>
> Can you use that to get the newer FireFox that you need?

Uhhh ...  I had never considered it, which seems more than a little
blind.  I haven't used pinning in a couple years, and when I did it
was usually to get a piece of software that wasn't in the current
distro (but was in the upcoming release).

However, on closer examination (I used this page:
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages - you should become close
friends with this if using Debian) "testing" also includes Firefox
ESR, so the answer would appear to be no.  Makes sense in a depressing
way: Debian wants a _stable_ version for stable, and testing is for
testing things that will become the stable distro ...

Huh - testing is called "trixie."  I always wonder which toy is coming next ...

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com