[GTALUG] Red Hat Paywall...

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 21:09:19 EDT 2023

A couple of points following on to 01bigtenor's reply:

According to Wikipedia: "Devuan is a fork of the Debian Linux
distribution that uses sysvinit, runit or OpenRC instead of systemd.
Devuan aims to avoid 'lock-in' by projects like systemd and aims to
maintain compatibility with other init systems to avoid detaching
Linux from other Unix systems."  When systemd was initially a horrible
mess, I was very much in favour of this.  But for the last several
years systemd has been rock-steady, and once you wrap your head around
the basics, it's a LOT easier to use than maintaining those damn
/etc/rc.N/ folders.  At least that's been my experience.

As for Debian stable vs. testing: 20 years ago Debian testing was
great ... about a decade ago I found it to be noticeably less stable,
and the constant volume of updates got on my nerves.  So I switched to
stable.  Even if the stability of testing has improved, I don't want
to put up with the updates.  If I need something newer, I can "pin" a
package, getting it either from testing or backports.  This is
admittedly a PITA to set up, and I hardly ever use it because of that
... but I _have_ used it, and it proved reasonably reliable in
practice.  Although getting your head around pinning weights is ...
nasty.