[GTALUG] war story: power failure makes CentOS system unbootable

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Sep 30 00:02:39 EDT 2022

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Is /boot/esp in /etc/fstab?

It is called /boot/efi.
Yes, on my systems, it is in /etc/fstab.

On my desktop:
UUID=3C5D-B772          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2

On the CentOS system that acts up:
UUID=A9B4-1C74          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt,x-systemd.automount,noauto,x-systemd.idle-timeout=600 0 2

| Well as far as I can tell from the man page for
| systemd-gpt-auto-generator, it will actually automatically mount the ESP
| partition to /efi or /boot (not sure about /boot/efi which seems to be
| where most distributions put it as far as I know).  It also mentions a
| flag you can set on the ESP partition to make it not auto mount it.

I imagine that is something to streamline containers.  Some distros might
use it.  None that I use, so far.

The requirement that / be on the same device as the ESP would sometimes
pinch me. Most of the time it is OK.