[GTALUG] Linux on Chromebook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Sep 15 10:47:44 EDT 2022

[I sure hope that the mailing list is working for all.]
| From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Sun, Sep 4, 2022 at 11:00 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
| <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
| >
| > A dirt cheap Windows netbook.  Not very good (screen is TN 1366 x 768).
| > Should easily run Linux.
| >
| > https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/laptops/lenovo/windows-edu-laptops/lenovo-100e-2nd-gen-(amd)/len101l0021

Lenovo is doing weird things.  My guess is that they are cleaning up the
inventory of computers that were aimed at kids doing remote classes during
the pademic.

Last night they had a Lenovo 14w model with an FullHD IP screen and an
NVMe drive for $190.  Gone today.  Sometimes they come back.
<https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/laptops/lenovo/windows-edu-laptops/14w-g2/82n8s02u00>

They currently have a 14w with a FullHD
TN screen and an eMMC drive for $172.72.
<https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/laptops/lenovo/windows-edu-laptops/lenovo-14w/88el10s9990>

The former is so much better.

| Managed to get one of these.
|
| Want to use it for digital books from the public library and maybe a
| little more.
| I would like to install *nix on it but - - - -
| am having a hard time finding any information for how to access the bios.
| (So that I can get it to boot from a usb stick where I have a web
| install version
| of the OS I want.)
|
| Can't find anything searching using Lenovo E100 Gen 2  - - - -
|
| please - - - - ideas???

There is surely a key sequence during booting.  But the timing window
might be narrow.  And sometimes your system boots into a mode where you
have to type the function key to type the key you want.

But: you can ask Windows to boot into UEFI setup.  It is annoyingly
intricate.  Here's the first google hit:
<https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enter-uefi-bios-windows-10-pcs>