[GTALUG] wired headset suggestions?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 12 14:00:17 EDT 2022

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 10:01:15PM -0400, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> auditory processing is not a hearing disorder.
> it is not what I hear, but how sound, verbal sound is  neurologically
> managed  from the brain down.
> Consumer gear works just fine.
> By way of example.
> I have a pair of Sony mdr-xb50ap headphones which would be just wonderful..
> if the impedance were higher.
> I had a pair of JvC  ha-s44x headphones, honestly almost anything in their
> extreme explotive line would be terrific..if it also had a microphone.
> Which is why I asked here.

Well looking up the specs of those JVC headphones I see impedance of
33.4 ohm and sensitivity of 113.1 dB/V (decibel per volt I guess).
I think that must be the 32 and 100 to 110 you were mentioning.  Of course
most headphones if they give specs are in dB/mW which is apparently
meaningless since you have to account for the impedence to compare them.

I found a calculator page that says the JVC at 113.1 dB/V at 33.4 ohm
would be 98.34 dB/mW.

I found the JBL Quantum 100, which is listed as 32 ohm, 96 dB/mW,
which the calculator says is 111 dB/V so just about identical to the
JVC headphones.  They are listed on JBL's website at $60 canadian.
3.5mm jack, no USB or bluetooth or any of that other
modern stuff.  Bestbuy currently lists it on sale for $40.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/jbl-quantum-100-gaming-headset-black/14543011

--
Len Sorensen