[GTALUG] wired headset suggestions?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:16:31 EDT 2022

Hi Kare.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 02:27, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi folks and happy thanksgiving if you are celebrating.
> Given others might spend far more time in  on line meetings than myself,
> plus the ideas here tend to be workable, I thought I would toss this
> question out here.
> There are some firm details for me, rather a few  strictly digital, or
> wireless headphones actually can make me dizzy.  part of my auditory
> processing  condition.
> so, seeking wired headset ideas,  with a boom mic, think for  a laptop,
> just plug in no
> pairing required.  I understand plantronics now Poly?, are a fine brand,
> but realize there may be others.
> Even if older, especially since my search is not producing options in a
> safe sensitivity range, either too low, as in less than 100, or too high,
> well above 110.
> I prefer impedance in the 32 range as well.
> Any model ideas?

These may not suit you for a number of possible reasons - not least of
which is that they plug into a USB port rather than the headphone
port, and I don't fully understand your requirements.  But take a look
if that's not a deal-breaker:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000UXZQ42/ - Logitech H390

I mention them because I bought them recently and I've been very happy
with them.  I've had to do a lot of audio chats at work and was tired
of using the microphone in the computer, so I found these.  I chose
them because they're well reviewed and surprisingly cheap (currently
$36, although it fluctuates).  Some comments from personal experience:

- they "just worked" when plugged into a Mac, and also Linux (Fedora).
- the volume control on the chord works well on Mac - not sure if it
works on Linux although I think it does
- the ear pads sit ON you ears, rather than AROUND them: I find they
start to get a bit uncomfortable around the hour mark (which isn't too
bad, considering)
- given the price, the sound quality is quite good - everyone I've
asked on the other end of my calls says I sound better
- on pretty much every OS, plugging in a headset audio jack
automatically over-rides the built-in speakers ... this wasn't
initially true with the USB headset for either Mac or Linux, although
after some futzing both now do so (just saying: setup may be
problematic)

I hope this helps.

--
Giles