[GTALUG] File chooser [was desktops]

max itsmax at riseup.net
Tue Jun 14 00:00:18 EDT 2022

I also find the behaviour of the text entry box very annoying and have read others complaining online. Part of the issue is that if the devs simply *must* keep this behavior, they should change the visual cue of highlighting to act according to convention.

For example in the adapta gtk theme, highlighted text is white on blue background. If I select text in the URL bar in FF, it is thusly highlighted. However if I then give focus to some other window, it changes to grey text on white background (or the inverse depending on context). So even if I get confused about where the focus is, the non-active highlighted text is distinguishable from currently active highlighted text.

However, in this filechooser, the selected text is always white text on blue background, even when focus is given to the search. I think this has the effect of misleading the user.

I haven't installed it but there is this project https://github.com/lah7/gtk3-classic that might be of some help?

And as to the specific issue of downloading a lot of sequential files, maybe it would be worth it to just grab the list of URLs and use wget. I did that with some magazines someone scanned. You can use wget noclobber to number them or just download in order, sort by date and rename with numbering in nautilus. When I am lazy I use this webpage https://zimtools.xyz/wget to generate a line for wget but a config file is better. Unless you are only downloading selected pages of course in which case manual naming the only way to go.

All in all I think xfce4 is totally fantastic and I have far fewer complaints about it than comperable components of windows or mac, gtk3 inclusive. :) Likewise firefox vs safari, chrome etc. Maybe, counterintuitively the fact of being free/libre and open leads users to having much higher standards and less complacemency than with monolithic proprietary packages where development has not even the veneer of community accountability. And therefor you get nitpicking like the preceding.

max