[GTALUG] every time I log in to google or ebay from Fedora they think that it is the first time

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jun 21 20:04:27 EDT 2022

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 04:01:40PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> When I log into google or ebay from my desktop, they think that I'm
> logging in for the first time from that device.
>
> For ebay.ca, it is painless: I get a warning message in email "if this
> wasn't you...".
>
> For google it is more annoying.  It wants a second factor authenticator.
> This amount to a message on all my android devices, none of which are
> close by.  I have to climb a flight of stairs!
>
> Any idea why these sites think my desktop is new to them each time?
>
> (I don't get this when I log in from an Android device.)

Did you enable a setting in your browser that makes it forget all cookies
when you close it?  After all without a cookie, there is no way to
remember anything in the browser.

Certainly chrome has an option for 'Clear cookies and site data when
you close all windows' which would do it.

--
Len Sorensen