[GTALUG] Making RPM from directory tree?

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Sat Jun 11 22:49:54 EDT 2022

I've long found that making linux packages seems to be more
complicated than I might have hoped.

To build RPMs, you typically use rpmbuild(8) which uses a set pf
diretories (SOURCES, SPECS, BUILDROOT, RPMS, ...) to build rpms.

But you might have a look at "fpm" - the "effing" package manager.

https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-fpm-to-easily-create-packages-in-multiple-formats

I find creating RPM repositories relatively simple - createrepo(8)
(or possibly createrepo_c(8)) feel straightforward to me. GPG package
signing is not too hard.  I find deb/apt repositories to be more involved.

Hope that helps!

John