[GTALUG] Default VNC in GNOME?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Jun 10 15:30:39 EDT 2022

On 2022-06-10 14:56, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> I don't feel like ever putting up with an rpm based distribution ever
> again.  Having made both rpm and deb packages over the years, I am not
> surprised that the package quality is much higher on deb based systems.
> The rpm format is simply a bad design in comparison.  I gave up on redhat
> around version 7 due to quality problems (that would be version 7 back
> before there was a RHEL thing) and have no intension to ever look at it
> again if possible.
>
> I put up with opensuse at work because that's what they standardized on,
> and the yocto stuff I work on is using rpm but we don't actually really
> use the packages at all in that case, and it is automated by yocto.
> I definitely don't need anymore of it.
>
> And given all I want a linux desktop to do is display windows, let me
> minimize, maximize and resize the windows in a normal way, and be able
> to launch programs by hitting alt+f2 and typing the name, I tend to just
> stick with xfce which is nice and lightweight.  I don't want a file
> manager of any kind nor do I care to have menus for launching things. :)

Defiantly a case of YMMV.
I have no time for debs or Debian and its derivatives in general.
I got tired of having to apply security patches and rebuild kernels in a
production environment so I went back to RH and never looked back.
I find RPMs trivial to rebuild and deploy.
But that is just me.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||