[GTALUG] trip report: upgrading to Fedora 36

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jun 4 11:37:11 EDT 2022

| From: Michael Galea via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
|
| On 2022-06-01 10:31, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > I just upgraded several systems to from Fedora 34 or 35 to Fedora 36 over
| > the last week. This process is mostly uneventful.  Here are some notes.
| ..
|

| > - one system's grub could not see any new kernels so I could only boot
| >    with the last f35 kernel.  I fixed this by doing a clean re-install.
| >
| I'm hoping you mean a re-install of grub and not Fedora. I wouldn't call an OS
| reinstall "mostly uneventful"..

No, it was a complete re-install, preserving /home.

I agree, this was an event.

The correct fix was probably to clean out /etc/efi and re-install the
latest kernel.  But I didn't know that.

I'm not happy that:

1) Fedora changed what they put in ESP without a clear
   announcement and explanation

2) out of space on the ESP caused silent failure

(On the first UNIX system I used, we could hear when a filesystem was
full because log messages were printed on the console, a DecWriter
LA30.  The RK05 disk held just under 2.5 megabytes.
<http://gunkies.org/wiki/RK05_disk_drive>.  I may misremember some
details.)