[GTALUG] inexpensive mini-PC with four 2.5G ethernet interfaces

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Fri Jul 1 13:49:45 EDT 2022

On 2022-07-01 12:01 p.m., William Park via talk wrote:
> BTW, your reply was double posted, James.
>
> Since you actually bought one... how is it different from buying Asus
> router?

Sorry, I thought my first post went only to Hugh.

Compared to an Asus?  Well, pfSense is a lot closer to "real" routers
from Cisco, etc..  For example, on my system, I have 4 Ethernet ports.
Some people bond them for greater bandwidth.  I have a test LAN and also
a dedicated connection to a Cisco router (I bought it when I was working
on my CCNA).  It supports routing protocols such as RIP, OSPF and BGP.
It has an NTP server which can be fully configured for multiple sources
and so much more.  So, you'd be better off comparing that Asus to a
Cisco router.  A lot of people don't know that routers can be much more
than the typical SOHO router, which has only 1 WAN and 1 LAN
connection.  For example, I have a VLAN for my guest WiFi through the
same access point (Unifi AC-LIte) as my main network.  I know many SOHO
routers support guest WiFi, but how configurable are they?  I can have
as many WiFi networks as my AP has SSIDs.  PfSense also supports captive
portals, so you can use a login screen for users.  It also supports
RADIUS servers for VPN connections.  It supports OpenVPN, IPSec and
Wireguard VPNs.  On IPv6, I get a /56 prefix from Rogers, which means I
can have as many as 256 /64 subnets.  I can even pass some of those onto
my Cisco router, to be split further.  I doubt you can do that with an
Asus, etc. router.

Bottom line, pfSense on appropriate hardware is much more capable than
typical SOHO routers.

BTW, prior to this mini PC, I had an old HP compact desktop computer for
my firewall/router.  On my 500/20 connection, I would generally see
around 540 or so down and 21 up.  I got the mini PC when the HP died and
my download bandwidth immediately jumped!  So, the HP was the limiting
factor.  Now, it's getting to the point where my 1 Gb LAN is the
limiting factor.  Also, prior to pfSense, I used Linux for my
firewall/router, but it wouldn't handle DHCPv6-PD, which is how the
prefixes are distributed.  PfSense does and I can assign individual
prefixes to any interface, including VLAN or VPN.

PfSense is a free download from pfsense.org, though there is also a
commercial version that comes installed on Netgate hardware.