[GTALUG] Humble subscription service is ditching Linux after this month

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jan 18 00:02:52 EST 2022

I've used Humble a couple of times:
- Sometimes their book bundles <https://www.humblebundle.com/books> can be
really good deals if you're interested in the themes on offer
- They sometimes have sales on games and DLCs
<https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&filter=onsale>;
You pay them the discounted price and they give you a voucher redeemable at
Steam or the appropriate platform.

I never thought much of the subscription service as it offered lots of
access to stuff -- mainly games -- that didn't interest me. Much like
Google's doomed Stadia platform.

Let's face it, the Linux desktop -- even counting Chromebooks -- has never
broken 8% share, and is simply not the platform choice of gamers (who
besides Windows prefer dedicated units like Playstations and Switches).
Windows 11 shenanigans *might* turn lots of people to Linux on older
hardware, but probably not enough to break double digits. It's an easy
decision for the to drop support for such a low-use target. I do not expect
this to affect their book or software sales offerings.

This might be a symbolic loss -- reminder of the reality that the year of
the Linux desktop will likely never come in our lifetimes despite many
valiant attempts -- but I doubt it will be missed.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56