[GTALUG] RaspberryPi won't automount USB memory stick

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 08:51:03 EST 2022

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 23:55, Stewart C. Russell via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2022-01-14 23:24, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
> >
> > Why is Raspbian not set up to automount a memory stick
>
> Raspberry Pi OS Lite (no desktop) doesn't automount USB devices.
> Raspberry Pi OS with Desktop does.

As a follow-up to Stewart's message - automounting is, I think, pretty
much exclusively the realm of GUIs.  It's handled by a GNOME package
or a KDE package or the PCManFM package which handles the desktop for
LXQt.  Automounting isn't usually desirable in non-GUI environments -
because of the assumption that they're server-like environments.  I
don't like automount even in a GUI environment - but usually manage to
avoid it by going old-school on my Window Manager.  I still run
OpenBox or LXQt.  The latter _does_ automount stuff, but if you dig
into its config files there's a toggle to turn the behaviour off.

All of which doesn't answer your question - although it does perhaps
offer an indirect solution.  Install a desktop environment (as opposed
to a "window manager") if you don't have one (this may not be
desirable).  You haven't said if you have one - although I'm guessing
that Stewart thought "embedded system" meant "Pi OS Lite" and thus no
automount.  I believe there is a non-GUI, background utility program
somewhere out there that does automounting.  You may have already
found it in the form of the "usbmount" package but perhaps there's a
setting you need to tweak.  Although ... searching the Raspberry Pi OS
package repos, I don't see a package called just "usbmount" so I'm not
sure what that fix might be.

This is very old:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/11472/automount-usb-drives-with-no-gui-requirement-halevt-replacement

but may be worth a look for the udev rules, which probably haven't
changed, and because the second answer has a pointer to Archwiki about
automounting USB.  I consider Archwiki to be pretty much the single
best source of documentation on Linux: that article would be worth a
read.  I hope this helps.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/