[GTALUG] X10 - Gear you don't want? Or replacement suggestions?

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 23:54:04 EST 2022

On 2022-01-16 12:50, Giles Orr via talk wrote:

> First Question: Does anyone have any X10 gear they'd like to get rid
> of?

Soo much ... please take it! I think I might have a couple of the
working transceiver modules (RR501?) left. I bought a dozen from Active
Surplus, but their power caps slowly died over the years.

> Second Question: What's a more modern replacement for X10?

Ikea's Home Smart System, aka TRÅDFRI. Unlike most other systems, it
doesn't phone home. It does, however, have the base station, update
firmware on the devices, for which it has to phone home. But the system
can't be accessed outside the home. It mostly uses ZigBee for control,
but like every other system you'll need wifi to talk from a client.

Ikea have tweaked their protocol slightly over the years. My house runs
from a series of entirely terrible shell scripts written by me (if you
want a laugh: scruss/ihsctrl: a package of bash scripts to control
selected IKEA Home smart (aka “TRÅDFRI”) devices via their network
gateway — https://github.com/scruss/ihsctrl)

If you must go wired, https://www.digital-loggers.com make some nice
network controlled outlets, but they're pricey. Also their stock has
been badly affected by the chip shortage, so it may be a long wait for
the kit.

cheers,
  Stewart