[GTALUG] RaspberryPi won't automount USB memory stick

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Fri Jan 14 23:24:31 EST 2022

Greetings, all.

I have an embedded system that uses a Raspberry Pi 3. I have it set up and
running with the latest Raspbian and all is well, almost. For some reason
the Raspbian system is not set up to automount memory sticks when they are
inserted in to a USB port on the machine.

On another embedded system I needed to install the usbmount package to get
the system to automount a memory stick when it is inserted. I have installed
usbmount on the RPi but it still won't automount a USB memory stick. The
output from dmesg reports that it is seeing the insertion of the USB memory
device. The device is also reported under lsusb.

Why is Raspbian not set up to automount a memory stick like is done on a
normal Linux based desktop? My desktop does it and I don't have an usbmount
package installed. How do I configure Raspbian to automount a memory stick?

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick