[GTALUG] ot: perhaps, headphones?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 17:47:54 EST 2022

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 4:34 PM Erica Peterson via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Karen, if this is for a reader (not music), maybe you could visit (or email) Radioworld and talk with them about their headphones and headsets?  Unfortunately there don't seem to be good product filtering options on the website, but I would think they would be knowledgeable about the specific parameters you care about.

If particular frequencies are the issue then dropping an equalizer
into the system and dropping those specific frequencies on something
like a short tight (like 18dB roll off) cutoff could help.

If its sound wave attenuation - - - that's going to be very tricky trying
to 'fix' it.

Find it interesting - - - the talk has come around to audiophile.
Bought my stereo some 30 odd years ago.
In the process found speakers that I really liked - - - that time the
Infinity Quantum Reference II s.
They were very very nice.
I was auditioning using a recording of the Montreal Symphony doing
Stravinski's Rite of Spring (Dances Sacre et Profane is a serious
test). The 12' bass drum and the serious amount of cymbals and
triangle are tough on systems.
Then there was a recording of Bach's organ music (some of it) with the
Toccata and Fugue in d using a 32' stop.
Found out what that sounded felt like in a cathedral in Europe where
the organist played the pedals using 'only' the 32' stop. That organ
had some 70 hp on the blower and I was about 125' from the pipes - - -
could feel a lot of energy through my feet that time! (that's also 16
Hz!)
Then I was also using a recording of music feature Placido Domingo - -
- the male voice is tough on speakers because the frequencies are
moving from the mid/upper bass into the mid-range areas.

Wished I could have bought those speakers (company now called Genesis)
but they cost almost as much as I spent on the system that time.

Brings back a few memories - - - -

Regards