[GTALUG] ot: perhaps, headphones?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jan 14 16:03:41 EST 2022

| From: Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| However, this is a fine example of my personal issue...I cannot use them.
| The impedance on this model is 24, and they make me dizzy.
| I do have production assistants use them, and in all these years the ear pads
| remain flawless.

I don't see how impedance could have anything to do with making you
dizzy.  Could you explain?

I'm not saying those headphones don't make you dizzy.  But it would be
very interesting to know the mechanism.

If I had to guess at a factor that might cause dizziness, I'd pick
problems with phase.  That would imply serious filters, I'd think.
Plain old passive headphones don't have fancy filters.

Perhaps one driver wired backwards: that would make one signal 180
degrees out of phase.  But that doesn't seem like an easy mistake to
make.  (It is easy on some home stereo's the swap the lines into a
speaker.)